Saturday, September 1, 2012

Whirlwind

..that's the best word I can think of to describe my first week as a kindergarten teacher. It was insane/fun/exhausting and everything in between! I officially have 24 kiddos..which is, in my opinion, way too many five-year-olds in one classroom. Thankfully they're all pretty well behaved - so it'll be an interesting (but fun!) adventure. Friday night I was in bed and sound asleep by 9:30, and I slept until 8:30 this morning. Definitely some very, VERY much needed sleep.

I still can't believe how much responsibility falls on my shoulders, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. I already had one little friend who had a "lightbulb" moment this week..and there's nothing quite like the feeling that gives you. This child came to me not recognizing his own name..and by Friday he could write his first letter! It's a baby step, but it's amazing progress for only the first week of school.

I'm very lucky to have a sister that also teaches kindergarten..because we get to plan together! We stayed until a little after 7 on Friday getting all of our centers together for the next week. I think people would honestly be surprised by how much time/energy teachers/money (especially kindergarten teachers) have to invest on a weekly basis. I'm excited about finally getting to teach the kids something other than rules and procedures. Watching them learn new things just might be my favorite thing about kindergarten (besides naptime!).

Today..mom, Kayla and I went shopping. I'm in between sizes at the moment, however, and could only find one dress that I really liked. So when I got home I got online and ordered a few more. It's almost sad how much I enjoy shopping for teacher clothes these days, haha.

I really don't think there's anything interesting to report other than that. The workout schedule had to sit on the back burner while I got used to my work schedule again..so I'm definitely looking forward to getting back on track with a run tomorrow morning. My life officially revolves around school - and I'm not sure I'd have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment